Thursday, September 25, 2014

But I Trust in Your Unfailing Love

Pain.  Hardships.  Troubles.  It's everywhere.  There is no place in the world that can avoid difficult times.  It is all around us.  And there are times when it is more heightened than others.  It has been especially close around us with people we serve with:  loss of a loved one... severe sickness... miscarriage... financial hardships... relationship issues... ministry struggles...  So often there are just no words.

When you and I are going through difficult times, what do we do?  Where do we turn to?  Everyone reacts in different ways.  Some hide.  Some talk.  Some recover quickly.  Some get depressed.

In the last couple of weeks, Bible reading has found us in the Psalms.  The psalms can be such a place of encouragement to turn to in times of trouble.  King David (or other writers) often would cry out to God.  They expressed their feelings to him:

"Answer me when I call to you, O my righteous God.  
Give me relief from my distress; be merciful to me and hear my prayer." 
(Psalm 4:1)

"Give ears to my words, O LORD, consider my sighing." 
(Psalm 5:1)

Here's the thing:  David doesn't leave his cries, his complaints, his anger, his fear, his distress, just there.  No, he turns it around and praises God!  He thanks God for what he has done in the past; for God's faithfulness.  Though he feels so low, he remembers the truth about God.

Psalm 13 is a good example of this:

How long, O Lord?  Will you forget me forever?
How long will you hide your face from me?
How long must I wrestle with my thoughts
and every day have sorrow in my heart?
How long will my enemy triumph over me?

Look on me and answer, O LORD my God.
Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep in death;
my enemy will say, 'I have overcome him,'
and my foes will rejoice when I fall.

But I trust in your unfailing love;
my heart rejoices in your salvation.
I will sing to the LORD,
for he has been good to me.

Now look, I am no expert on how to handle pain.  Each experience is different.  I am no expert in how to help people when they are going through difficult times.  But I do know the peace and comfort God brings to those who turn to him.  

Jesus says in John 16:33b says, "In this world you will have trouble.  But take heart!  I have overcome the world."

~ Dolly ~



1 comment: